Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mexican Rice




This is a tried and true family favorite that we have used for many years. I love this recipe and usually make a triple batch so I can freeze some for later meals. 


I've used this recipe as a side dish for Mexican food, make tacos out of it instead of using ground beef and then just top with lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes. Eaten it with just cheese on top for a meatless lunch or dinner, made Double Decker tacos out of it, and used it as a filling for burritos and enchiladas.

I made a triple batch today and included it as a side dish to dinner. I took the leftovers and separated them into five different containers and put them in the freezer. 

This is one of the reasons I save leftover food containers. I don't worry about using these for long term storage as I will use this rice up within the month. 


Making this dish from scratch is so much cheaper than buying the Instant Rice Dishes in the packages, and the flavor is excellent. Plus if you look for your ingredients on sale like I do you will save even more money on this dish. Now onto the recipe:


Ingredients:
 
1 1/2 cups rice
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 - 8 ounce can chicken broth
1 cup salsa
2 cups water

Directions:
 
Heat oil until hot.
Add all of the rice and stir continuously until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
When rice is brown, stir in onion and garlic.
Turn off the heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
Add the broth, salsa, salt and water.
Stir a couple of times and let come to a full boil.
After it comes to a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer.
Cover with lid and allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Turn the heat off and let sit for 5 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. Looks easy enough. Have you ever tried it with brown rice? I just bought a box of Mintue brown rice (good cpn deal and easy for kids who will be cooking) and I'm supposed to get 2 lbs of brown reg rice this weekend thru Angel Food. Br rice normally takes longer to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've not tried it with brown rice, but I'm sure it would work and just take a little longer to cook. I would add more liquid too. I've added up to another 8 ounces of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of water when tripling the recipe before.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...