Thursday, July 21, 2011

Heat & Beverages

The local news said we can expect more heat and humidity and is telling everyone to drink plenty of fluids, and especially water. 

My daughter has been having a friend sleepover with her this week and they went through a gallon of iced tea yesterday in about four hours, so I made two gallons this morning and hopefully that will last a little bit longer. 

I’m prepared to make more if necessary. Making tea at home is one of the many money savings things we do here. 



Drinks and beverages are one of the easiest areas to save money on your grocery bill. In my house I usually have water, milk, and tea to drink. I also have keep Kool Aid on hand just in case anyone wants that. 

Maggie from the original Hillbilly Housewife site always said that any drink other than water, milk, and fruit juice was a luxury. She says when we buy “luxury” drinks we are paying someone else to add water and flavorings for us. 

You can read her article on the topic here:


After I made the tea, I realized I had some bananas that needed to be used up this morning, and since I had some cream cheese on hand that I price matched at Wal-Mart from the Walgreens sale, 

I decided to make my favorite banana bread recipe from Southern Living magazine. The banana bread is in the oven right now and the house is beginning to have a wonderful aroma.  When the girls wake up I’m sure they will be in here to investigate. :)



Here is the recipe:

Southern Living's Cream Cheese Banana-Nut Bread

Makes 2 Loaves

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas, (about 4 medium)
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Directions:

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
Combine flour and next 3 ingredients.
Gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loaf pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
You may want to cover with aluminum foil last 15 minutes to prevent browning, if necessary.
Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
Remove from pans, and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...