Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday's Frugal Flops


Not everything is sunshine and roses here at the Frugal Workshop. Sometimes things don't work out like we want them to work. Pictured above is a bag from a 10 pound bag of onions, which I tried to turn into one of those scrubby sponges. As you can tell from the picture below it didn't work out very well. My sponge ended up having many strings that would just fall out of it. Might be good for one use only. Next time I won't use scissors to try and make one.


Another frugal flop at the Frugal Workshop is the Misto Gourmet Olive Oil sprayer.  I bought two of these last December from Amazon. I gave one to my dad for Christmas and kept one for myself. I was never happy with the one I had. The olive oil tended to leak around the spray nozzle, which was irritating and wasteful. The can also needed to be pumped on a regular basis, which was also irritating because you could only get one or two sprays out of it before it needed pumping again. And it did not give a nice, smooth even coating when I sprayed with it, but would rather pool the olive oil into a puddle. I've since made the switch back to store bought spray and am much happier with the results.


The lesson here is that we should always keep trying to save money even though some things might not work. If we stop trying then we wouldn't find new ways to save money. 

How about you? Do you have any frugal flops in your home?


Belinda
© Belinda Richardson and Frugal Workshop, 2012.
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”

2 comments:

  1. Always frustrating when things don't live up to our expectations, but I guess it may be one of the best ways to learn what works best for us.

    We've been coasting on automatic and not trying much in the line of new products. However, I can honestly say we've tried a few low sodium products that were a flop. I'm working on figuring out how to use up some brown rice crackers -- ugh! I also tried a can of salt free vegetarian chili as sample to see if I wanted to keep some in the hurricane food -- it was sweet and icky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried that vegetarian chili too, Shara, and it is sweet! Wonder why they ruin it adding sugar to it. No more of that in our house. You could use the crackers as crumbs in something. I add cracker crumbs to meatloaf instead of oatmeal.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...