Sunday, September 23, 2012

United Grocery Outlet


This is a picture of our local grocery outlet, United Grocery Outlet. 

Do you remember Amy Dacyczyn writing about Caswell's Liquidation center in Lewiston, Maine in the Tightwad Gazette? Or this article from CNN that had this to say about Caswell's:


Jim's favorite stop, though, is Caswell's Liquidation Center, a repository for food items no longer ready for grocery prime time. In this dimly lit warehouse-style emporium reside dented cans, cornflakes whose packages are printed in Arabic and food that has passed its "sell by" date. That's right. "People are confused about those dates," insists Amy. "Often the date means only when the food is at the peak of quality. It doesn't go bad on that date."
We have our own close out store here in the south, which is known as United Grocery Outlet. UGO has locations in Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama, and Georgia. This is the store where I once bought cheese in the eight ounce block for fifty cents. I bought enough to last for year and stored it in our freezer. We shopped there this past week and I wanted to show you some of the remarkable bargains we found and purchased there. 
.

This is actually a picture from Walmart. This is two pound package of Land O Lakes white cheese. As you can see from the picture, the price at Walmart is $7.97, but we were able to pick up this same package of cheese from UGO for $3.99, which is almost half price. 

This is a bag of Archway iced lemonade cookies. They are priced online anywhere from $3.00 at Shop Rite to $8.50 at Amazon. They are delicious lemon flavored cookies and only cost 59 cents at UGO, which is a really good bargain in my book.


Here is a bag of Allens (another name brand in the south) baby Brussels Sprouts in a butter sauce. These are twelve ounces and only cost $1.00 per bag.  


Here is a bag of Ore Ida County Inn Creations Peppers & Onions Hash Browns in the twenty ounce size, which cost $1.39 per bag, which is a great deal since this product costs $2.96 at Walmart. 

 Here is a bag of Allens Veg All Okra and Squash Blend, which was another good bargain at only $1.00 per bag. 

Here is a family size frozen dinner of Chicken Fried Rice. There were two large bags of frozen stir fried rice inside the box. I made one bag for dinner one night for three of us and it was more than enough. Total cost of this was $4.49 for the box, so dinner that night was only $2.25 for the main course. This was so good that I almost went back the next day to buy more.
 

Another great deal was the Allens Broccoli with Cheese Sauce, and again was only $1.00 per bag. I served this along side the Chicken Fried Rice and liked it as well.


Another bargain I picked up this week was this two pound bag of hash brown potatoes for $1.39. I figured I would use these to make a Hash Brown Casserole for dinner one night.  

Now this is just a sampling of the items we bought there this week. As with everything else, some things are priced higher than others, so you still have to be sure and know prices in your area. Oftentimes I can find Pepperidge Farm breads here for 99 cents, and they did have some on the day we visited, but not any that I wanted. This store is just another way that we save money here at the Frugal Workshop.

Do you have a close out store in the area you live or any other kind of discount grocery store?

Belinda
© Belinda Richardson and Frugal Workshop, 2012 -2020.
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”

12 comments:

  1. Belinda,
    We have Aldi and Sharp Shopper. Sharp Shopper is a discount store like the one you shop at. I go there twice a month (when I get paid), and the savings are unbelievable. They sell whole chicken for 0.69 a pound, various yogurt for 10 cents, to 50 cents a package of four, and all kinds of produce that is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful, Debbie. I wish this one had meat in it, but it doesn't. Their other stores offer meat, but it is too far to drive, so we just make do the best we can. Your prices sound terrific!

      Delete
  2. We don't have a store like that...sigh...but I wish we did.
    The best we can hope for is to shop sales and see what Aldi has.

    Sounds like you really found some good prices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shara. I wish you had one too, although Aldi is good too!!

      The great thing is that they get new stuff 2 or 3 times a week, so it helps to stop in regularly because you never know what you will find.

      Delete
  3. In the western states we have Grocery Outlet (formerly Canned Food Outlet). I have gotten some remarkable deals there. It's like a treasure hunt, you search for the really great deals. I can see how families could save a lot shopping there compared to shopping at the traditional grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great, Lili. I'm glad you have one that you can go to as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, what fantastic prices. We have nothing like that where I live. We do have Aldi's, but it's a bit of a drive so then what do you really save? I love the prices on the vegetables.

    You certainly did well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marylou. I wish everyone had access to this type of store. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I don't think we have anything like that near where I live. It's a good option to have. Right now, I'm trying to eat my way through my deep freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, Pamela. I do that a few times a year and it is always a good thing. :)

      Delete
  6. WOW! fabulous finds. Nothing like that around here, at least I have a local Aldi's now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have an Aldi's close to you now to shop at, Carol. I was thinking of you when I made this post. I wish you had one of these stores closer to you as well. :)

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...