Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Giving Back

Old/New Bleachers

I'm very grateful to the teachers and other school staff members who ask me to sub for them during the school year. The school building where I normally work is old and in need of many repairs. Our gym teacher has been working on several projects over the last two years in an effort to make things better for the students. Last year she worked on getting a new gym floor and this year they are getting new bleachers. Here is a photo of her and 48 other community members tearing out the old bleachers:


We live in a small rural community and do not have any money for many of these projects, so we have to roll up our sleeves and find the money somewhere. The new bleachers are going to cost around $5500 and she sold the old bleachers online and earned $2200 for them. They've also done a Zumbathon fundraiser to earn cash towards them.

I was in a rather odd position one day last week in that I was actually paid in cash for subbing for a teacher who won a free day off. I really, really wanted to help with the bleacher project, but was physically unable to help them take the bleachers down. So I took the cash that I earned and gave it to the gym teacher to go towards those bleachers. I thought she was going to cry when I gave it to her. It made me so happy to do this for her and the school. They help me to make a living for my family and I was very happy to do this for them. 

Freezer Needed

We have a local couple that runs a charity thrift type of shop and they accept donations of anything and feed people, give away free clothes, free meals, food, appliances, medical equipment, help set up a home, you name it and they will help people find it. 

They put the word out (Reminded me of Amy D) last week that they needed a freezer to help store food for 600 children in our community for their summer feeding program. 

We had recently unplugged our freezer on the back porch for several reasons. The cost of food has become so high that it was practically empty and using our above fridge freezer only would save money on the electric bill. So, to make a long story short, we gave them our freezer and they were thrilled. 

We also gave them a garbage bag full of grocery store bags, which they desperately needed and use to give to people to fill up with free clothes. We also gave them a portable bedside commode, a high rise toilet seat, a coffee table, and a TV. They were thrilled to get all of these things and it made me feel good to give them these things. I know they will put them to good use. 

How about you? Have you paid it forward lately or given to your community in some way? I would love to read about it in the comment section.  :)

Belinda
CFO ~ Chief Frugal Officer
© Belinda & Frugal Workshop, 2011-2014.
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”

2 comments:

  1. Hi Belinda,
    These are wonderful examples of your giving spirit. My prayer for you is that you never feel need, but be blessed richly.
    I can't think of much of anything selfless that I've done lately. But I'll tell you something that someone I know did recently. She took some of her hard-earned money, which she could have used for personal pleasure, but instead bought a gift card to McDonalds to give to a homeless man in the downtown area. The thought of him going hungry was too much to bear for her.

    Hope you're enjoying your first days of summer break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lili. It makes me feel good to help others when they need it.

      I love the example you gave. I know of a blogger that does that as well. It's Cheryl over at CoppersWife. I just love her idea.

      http://copperswife.com/2010/12/thursday-december-16-2010/

      I am loving summer break! It's a much needed rest from the school year. I hope you are enjoying your summer too!

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...