Sunday, October 5, 2014

Frugal Saturday

The weather here in Tennessee yesterday was wonderful. It was a cool fall day and perfect for yard sales. 

Here are a few things we picked up:




One pair of skinny jeans for $5, one pair of capris for $5, three pairs of shorts for $3 each, three shirts for $2 each, one pair of like new OPI sandals $1, and one American Eagle jacket for $4. The pants and shorts are all name brand. 

All of these are for my daughter. She was thrilled with all of it, but especially the American Eagle jacket. And the flowery shirt in the front will be perfect for a dressy event she has coming up at school. 



A brand new, still with stickers, double wall cup with lid and straw. We like these cups because they have the lid and they keep drinks colder for long periods of time. These cups retail for $5 and up at most retailers, but we bought this cup for 25¢. We still can't believe the person sold it for that amount. 

Other things we bought, but are not pictured are two boxes of thank you notes for 25¢ each, and a thermal blanket for $3, which was needed for the living room as the blanket I used in there has been permanently borrowed by my daughter. lol



Since I was in town, I decided to stop at Bi-Lo and Cooke's to check out their crash and burn items. I couldn't find any at Bi-Lo, but I was glad I stopped in anyway. Looked what I scored:



These are 30 count bags of tortillas for $1.19, but see the coupon attached? I carefully read it to see if it would double, since Bi-Lo doubles coupons up to 60¢, and I figured it would, so I tried it and it worked. That coupon doubled and gave me 70¢ off each bag, so 49¢ a bag...what a deal. I'm so glad I stopped in there today. Always be on the look out for peelies to see if you can score a good deal on an item.  



My other bargain of the day came from Cooke's. Their crash and burn cart was filled with one pound bags of black eyed peas for 50¢. If you look closely you can see the 50¢ on the package. This was such a great deal that I bought ten bags. I love finding great deals like this so I can feed my family inexpensively.  

These two items were the only food items I bought on Saturday. 



Once we got home I got busy cleaning, hanging our laundry up to dry, and doing some things in the kitchen.  

I made sure to put the onions I bought this week into pantyhose and hung them in the pantry. I mentioned in a blog post a while ago that I would let you know how my experiment turned out. 

Storing the onions in panty hose, where the air is able to circulate around them definitely helps to keep them longer. The ones I bought and kept in the original mesh bag sprouted after one month, but the ones I stored in panty hose lasted four months. As a result, I will be storing them this way in the future.  

If you don't have any panty hose, Walmart sells knee highs for 30¢, which is what I used in this photo, so one of these would only cost you 15¢. Not a bad price to help keep your onions longer. 




I do have one frugal fail to mention today, if you are interested. I scored this 42 ounce canister of oatmeal at a yard sale today for 50¢. I was  actually kicking myself because if I had gotten there sooner, I could have gotten all three that he had for sale. 

When I got it home I looked at it closely and it expired in 2009. I should have looked at it closer when I was buying it. Now I will have to Google non food ways to use up oatmeal. lol

We are on Fall Break this week from school/work, so I am looking forward to getting a lot of things done. 

How was your Saturday? Did you find any good bargains?

Belinda
CFO ~ Chief Frugal Officer
© Belinda & Frugal Workshop, 2011-2014.
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”
"Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle ~ It will help you save money"

6 comments:

  1. Awesome finds on clothes at the tag sales. Clothing is so expensive, especially for kids, considering how short of a time the items will get worn. Good deals on the beans, tortillas. Bummer about the oats. : (
    Oats are good for skin conditions, as a facial scrub, an odor deterent in the fridge (like baking soda).

    HTH!
    Carol in CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would there be concern that outdated oatmeal could harbor bugs that would invade fridge foods?

      thyme2save

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Carol. I was googling about the oats this morning and saw that about the odor deterrent in the fridge, which I didn't know about. I also saw one for modeling clay for children to play with. I'll figure out something to do with it. :)

      Delete
  2. Belinda, you have managed to save and stretch your resources for as long as I've known you -could be 17 years- and I continue to marvel.

    For ever so long your gardening and preserving enlarged your larder. Gardening was part of my first 21 years. When I married, there was no where to garden. No where. 10 or so years ago, I planted very small areas along a yard fence of okra, squash, zuchinni, and cherry tomatoes. For 2 years, we ate well during growing season. Third year, total failure. Gardening ended. Struggle to produce was frustrating.

    Last week, $31 bought enough produce to leave a smile on our freezer. Not what I would prefer but surely more than enough with plenty of saved cash.

    Household enjoys veggie medlies from freezer with home-cooked dried beans. Great deal you found on dried beans.

    Continue to encourage us. We need all the encouragement available.

    thyme2save

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you so much for your sweet comments. :) I try and do the best I can with what we have stretching and making it go as far as possible.

      Having your garden fail is so disappointing. I'm sorry your third year was a failure. Looks like you did very well though with the produce your purchased last week.

      We love the home cooked dried beans too and eat them regularly even sometimes eating only those for dinner. Those 15 Bean Cajun soup beans are one of our favorites and don't even require any salt to taste good.

      Thank you again for your kind note. I love to read everyone's comments because it encourages me too. :)

      Hope you have great Sunday. :)

      Delete
    2. Good point about the bugs. I'll have to freeze them to kill anything or just give it to my Dad for his chickens. They would love the oatmeal and any bugs in there. LOL ;)

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...