Thursday, January 8, 2015

Stuffed Peppers

I've been mulling tonight's dinner over in my head all week long. I had several beautiful peppers gifted to me by a friend of mine. After thinking about them all week I decided to make stuffed peppers with them today.

We were out of school today due to the low temperatures here, so I had plenty of time to make dinner from scratch today. 

I started out by making my Mexican Rice recipe in the pressure cooker today. I didn't follow the recipe exactly since I did not have any salsa, so I decided to improvise. 

I used some canned tomatoes, V-8 juice, garlic & chicken bouillon cubes, and a can of Rotel. This rice turned out as good as the Mexican Rice I normally make, so I proceeded to use other items I had on hand. 

I didn't have any meat, but that was OK with me, so I used some chili beans I had on hand instead. I also used some Cracker Barrell Havarti cheese that was gifted to us at Christmas time as well.  I grated that up and added it to the rice & beans mixture and then stuffed the peppers. 

I made six in all and had only one left after dinner, so I took a photo of it. 

I served it with the last of the carrot and raisin salad from earlier in the week and added some steamed brussel sprouts on the side. I had pears, apples, and oranges for anyone who wanted any afterwards. 

This morning's temperature was nine degrees fahrenheit, which was too cold for children to stand outside and wait on the bus, so they closed school for the day. Tomorrow we are on a two hour delay, and hopefully the weather will warm up a little by then. 

I hope you have a good evening and stay warm. :) 

Belinda
CFO ~ Chief Frugal Officer
Professor Penny Pincher 
© Belinda & Frugal Workshop, 2011 and beyond.
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without”
"Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle ~ It will help you save money"


4 comments:

  1. I love stuffed bell peppers. Great job on using up what you have on hand. I find some of my favorite dishes come from doing just that.

    I talked to my husband this morning (he's a few counties over) and his power has been out since 2 am. School is cancelled there for the day, but personnel are still reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shara. :) I hope your husband is staying warm. It's pretty cold out there, hopefully the power is restored by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gifts ans finds in the pantry, fridge, and freezer can combine here as delicious offerings for those seated at table. Aren't we clever? Yes, we are. In addition, we remove ourselves from those who discard 50% of their food supply.

    ReplyDelete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...