Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday

Apple Peeler

The other day I was lucky enough to purchase an apple peeler for $10 from a Facebook yard sale group. I had to watch a YouTube video to find out how to use it, but I figured it out. I love this thing. The video I watched, showed a man peeling potatoes with his, but this didn't work for me. I was able to successfully peel an apple with it though. 


Breakfast & Dinner

Breakfast today was turkey sausage and toast with water to drink. I was the only one up for breakfast this morning, so time will tell what my daughter will have when she wakes up today. She was out with a friend last night and is sleeping in today.  

When she finally woke up I made pinwheels for her. These are made up of ham, cream cheese, and black olives whizzed together in the food processor and spread on flour tortillas. I don't cut them into pinwheels, but leave them unsliced, so she can eat them sort of like a sandwich. I made enough to last her for a few days this week for breakfast and or lunch. I reused the tortilla bag to save me a Ziplock bag. 


I made the cornbread last night for the dressing I made for dinner today. I was going to make mashed potatoes, but I wanted to use green beans as our vegetable today and I love potatoes cooked in green beans, so that will be our vegetable today. I also have some smoked sausage in the freezer, which will go well with that dish also. I am making enough dressing to last several meals, so some of that will be going into the freezer for other meals. 




All of these meals are simply food that I have on hand and am using up this weekend. No spent money on eating out this weekend.  :)

Today's Plans

Plans for today include getting ready for the four day work week coming up, so far I have three days scheduled to work. I will be doing laundry and laying out my clothes for tomorrow, fixing lunches for tomorrow, and getting my sub bag ready for the week. Getting these things done today will help relieve stress and anxiety in the morning, which sets the tone for the day and makes the whole day run smoother, a win-win situation in my book. 

Ebay Sales

I sold two things on Ebay this week and made $29.67 after fees and one book on Amazon and made $5.09, which have both went into my emergency fund. Having an emergency fund gives me peace of mind and security for when something goes wrong, so I will have the funds available to deal with it.  

Shopping for Entertainment?

My daughter went with a friend after her library duty, which meant I didn't have to wait on her to pick her up yesterday. I usually hang around the library and read, but yesterday I thought about going shopping, but in the end decided against it (other than the few grocery items I picked up and blogged about yesterday). There is nothing that I absolutely need, and I don't want to go shopping for entertainment. As you may recall, one of my goals for 2015 is to avoid consumerism and add to my savings as much as possible. There are things I would like to have, but do I really need them? No, I can do without them and make do with what I have on hand. I would rather see my bank account grow than spend money on something that is not a necessity.   :)

Netflix, Teaching Children about Money

I watched part of Season 4 of Parenthood on NetFlix this week. For some reason, Season 4 of Parenthood cost more than Season 5, so I decided to watch it on NetFlix. My monthly subscription is $8.00 and my daughter pays me $5.00 because she wants it more than I do, so I made a deal with her. I let her work it off by doing small chores at home. We keep track of this by using an inexpensive spiral notebook. I first learned about this idea from Len Penzo in his blog post, "Using a ledger to teach kids Money Management Skills".  We've been using this system for a few years now and it has worked well for her. She is 17 now and has her own checking account with a debit card and she is very disciplined in keeping track and how she spends her money. 

That wraps up our day for today. 

How are you spending your Sunday?

Belinda
Simply live by the rule of not spending money you don't have.
© Belinda & Frugal Workshop, 2011 - 2015.

5 comments:

  1. I love cornbread dressing!

    I've never actually used an apple peeler, but the idea of one is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too, shara. I am hoping the apple peeler will help with peeling things. Using a knife makes my hand go numb and I've stopped peeling things for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIL used an apple peelerr, especially when canning.

    Suggestion: In the palm of the hand with which you peel, place the thumb of your other hand. Push hard and slowly around the center of your palm. Do you feel a lump? It will not necessarily be large.

    My lump is at 11 o'clock from the center of my palm, very near the center. As the hand and fingers worsen with time, there is direct pain from the center of the palm to the middle finger. I can no longer open the cap of a bottle.

    Typing is occupational therapy for me; however, I have been told that only surgery will correct the problem --- as much as it can be corrected.

    Rheumatolgist with a fantastic reputation may do wonders for you before your nerves are injured beyond repair. I am not a MD. I just have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know for sure, I don't feel a lump right now, but it hurts when I press there. My Mom has a great rheumatologist as she suffers from RA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You already have a medical source to guide and give accurate information about your hand. Take care of it. Today, I found a second lump in my palm

      A friend serves some of best corn bread dressing I've ever had, and it may be my favorite. It particularly instructs not to use buttermilk cornbread. We only eat buttermilk cornbread; however, to enjoy the best corn bread dressing ever, according to me, I do not use buttermilk corn bread in the recipe. I do not know what my Nanticoke Indian ancestors in Maryland and Delaware did wth their corn, but I am thankful that Indians taught Europeans how to grow and use it. Yum.

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...