Wednesday, April 5, 2017

In My Frugal Kitchen


We had some apples that no one was eating that I wanted to use up, so I dehydrated them over the weekend and put them into jars when they were done. These make a great substitution with a sandwich for potato chips and are much healthier.

Monday was a rainy day, so I spent the day indoors puttering around in my kitchen. I first started by cleaning out the refrigerator to make sure to use up anything that needed using before it was too late. 


There was a lurking package of almond bark left over from the holidays that needed using up. So, I made a batch of my granola bars using this recipe and dipped eight of them in the chocolate. They were a big hit with the family.



Monday lunch was burritos using some left over taco meat, cheese, and sour cream. Using up the last of the taco meat, I made taco salads for dinner. 

On Monday night I soaked some garbanzo beans to make hummus with on Tuesday to have for lunches this week. 

Tuesday I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for us to take to school & work along with water and some of the dried apples I made this weekend. 

For dinner on Tuesday (and Wednesday's lunch) I decided to use up some lurking items. 

An opened boxed of lasagna noodles, a bowl of sauce, plus two opened jars of sauce, some spinach, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese made for a good vegetable lasagna. 


The finished product: 

One side dish I made on Monday has served us for several dinners this week, and that was roasted carrots and cabbage. 



What's been going on in your kitchen?

Belinda
~ Living within our Means ~

8 comments:

  1. That all looks delicious, Belinda. Such a great idea with the granola bars and chocolate. I know my family would gobble those up. I dehydrated apples a year ago, with a batch of rRd Delicious that were mealy; what was something no one wanted to eat became the star attraction around here. Yours will go quickly, I'm sure, too!
    Have a great week, Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lili. Yes, the dried apples are always a big hit. They sit and sit with no one eating them, but the minute they are dried they are gone quickly. LOL

      I hope you have a great week too. :)

      Delete
  2. The dried apples sound good, but I would still want the chips with my sandwich and the apples for dessert. I've always been a chip person no matter how unhealthy they are for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chips with my sandwiches too, Mary Lou. :)

      Delete

I’m so glad you’re here, taking time out of your day to comment on my blog.

Frugal Workshop is designed to be a source of information, encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. If you’re in the mood to troll, keep on scrolling.

Comments are moderated manually, and may take a few hours for them to appear. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...